Business Networking is an important tool that anyone can use in an entrepreneurial world. Effective business networking is one of the best marketing means and one of the most economical solutions for any business. In the event that we needed to give a definition to business networking, we would say that “networking occurs when there is a scheduled event or gathering with the primary aim of getting to know and meet others.” The purpose of networking depends on the goals of each entrepreneur; however, the main objective is to meet people and for the world to meet them. In other words, you have the opportunity to present yourself and your business within a relaxed social event, which frequently turns out to be extremely casual and pleasant for all involved.
Theoretically, in every community, there are many opportunities to network up to a point. For an owner of a new small business, the most productive starting point is usually contacting local Chamber of Commerce or another body of the industry. Most chambers of commerce and trade associations affiliations working in enrollment expenses can add up to a noteworthy sum. To make sure that the player you have selected is suitable for you before you join and pay the subscription, it is usually acceptable to visit the first group as a guest without having to pay. This way you will have the chance to meet the team, get familiar with it and make sure it is right for you. However, after your first meeting, your regular presence at meetings is crucial for effective business networking. The more regularly one attends meetings, the better the chance to promote your business or idea and exploit a forthcoming opportunity. Acquaintances and “oral” advertising are invaluable and highly effective methods.
To benefit as much as possible from the networking meetings, you must have in mind the followings:
- Go early. If you arrive earlier than the rest of the team, you will have a chance to get acquainted with everyone.
- Go with a goal. Before the meeting set a target for the day and seek it. Do not go to the meeting with a sluggish attitude and be crystal clear with your points. Take some time for yourself before the meeting, in order to concentrate.
- Make sure you carry your business cards or brochures.
- Make sure you carry a purse or briefcase to place the material and business cards you collect.
- Swap hands with anyone know.
- Do not hesitate to approach people you do not know and introduce yourself.
- Wear on you a tag with your name or your business card.
- Do not show yourself off or your company. The networking meetings are social and semi-formal.
- Do what you can to retain the names of those you meet.
If it is important to prepare for the meeting by following the instructions above, it is also very important to ensure that your appearance is appropriate. Whether we like it or not, we live in a world where we are constantly being judged based on the way we look. Given this, it is very important to pay attention to every detail.
Make sure you are well groomed and most importantly: be yourself.
After the meeting, if someone is interested in your company, do not wait two or three weeks to contact them. It is also very important to keep any promise given. If you tell someone that you are going to give them any kind of information, make sure you do! It is essential that you are trustworthy and reliable if you want your networking efforts to pay off.
Business Networking can be costly because of the subscriptions, contributions, meals, etc., but when done effectively, can be a valuable investment in your business success and your entrepreneurship endeavor.